Re: [Shop-talk] Chain saw on a pole

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Chain saw on a pole
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 07:49:14 -0400
At 10:45 PM 5/7/2008 -0500, Elton E. (Tony) Clark wrote:

>Roland answered:
>
>On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:32 PM, <rwil@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Buy a Remington electric from harbor freight. Less than $100 on sale. The
>> pole will be "just" a bit too short but a ladder will help with that
>> problem.
>> -Roland

>*I was sort of leery of an electric . . Will it cut a 6 or 8 inch limb?*
>*Tony*

Tony,

I have one of the electric ones and really like it.  I think the pole
extends to something like 12'.  The only problem is that the weight
of the electric saw does receate some torgue at the end.  So after
a while it does get heavy.  But it does a great job.

I've only seen one of the gas powered ones, and I don't remember
how much it extends (if it can).  But the gas motor was at the bottom
of the pole, which was nice and helped counter the torque of the saw
at the other end.

Remember this is for trimming.  And yes I could cut a 6" to 8" limb.
In fact I've cut some bigger limbs that that.  You may have to make
a couple of cuts.

I had a tree in the back yard, the trunk was at least 18" in dia. and
about 40' tall.  All I have was 2 electric chain saws.  The one on
the pole, which is has about an 8" to 12" bar, and a standalone
chain saw with about a 14" to 16" bar.  I had to find someone
with a big gas powered saw to bring down the trunk.

Just be very careful.  Chainsaws are very mean.  And a limb that
is not secured can do a lot of damage.  I had to cut a 4 to 6" limb
that was over my house.  We cut it in sections.  Each being about
a foot in length.  I ran a rope from the ground to a limb higher
than the limb we were cutting.  Then tied the rope about 1/2 way
down the section I was going to cut, and cut.  Then lowered that
section, and repeated.

Good luck.

John

Va. Beach, Va