Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Questions

To: "Marc" <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Questions
From: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:55:33 -0400 (EDT)
> Good morning!
>
> I am not a very experienced welder, have had my rig for just a a couple
> years. Very handy to have in the shop! I'm about to do a little body
> work, need to make a few small patches and weld them in.
>
> My buddy works for an HVAC mechanical contractor, and brought me a nice
> assortment of scrap pieces in various gauges. Only problem is I think
> all that metal is galvanized.
>
> All the info I have read indicates welding on galvanized metal = NOT
> GOOD (metal fume fever).  So, what's the story on this? Or, where can
> you get small pieces (12" x 12") of sheet metal that is suitable to work
> with?

  Correct, don't use galvanized.

  I got a huge box of scraps from a body shop, all perfect, various gauges.

  But if you go to a metal shop, they'll have off cuts of sheet metal that
will be cheap, and can be cut into enough scraps to weld yourself silly.

  Even a 4x8' sheet of metal isn't all that expensive, so the off cuts are
pocket change usually.