Re: [Shop-talk] breaker tripping on compressor

To: Philip Nase <bugi1960@gmail.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] breaker tripping on compressor
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
Maybe the breaker for that line is old and tired?
If possible, you should measure the current draw of
the compressor (e.g. with a clamp-on meter) and see
how it compares to the rated capacity of the circuit.

My air compressor trips its breaker a few times a
year, which I can put up with.  Unfortunately I have
an older breaker panel that uses expensive and
hard-to-replace breakers.  If I had a modern,
common-type panel with plug-in breakers, I would
simply spend the $10-15 to get a brand new breaker,
and spend a few minutes installing it, even if I
wasn't 100% certain the breaker was bad.

Doug