Re: [Shop-talk] vises

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] vises
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:34:14 -0400
At 03:06 PM 6/9/2008 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm in the market for a medium size metal working vise (I have enough
>vices). Harbor Freight has their usual 'made-in-China' cheapos. I'd
>like to pay their price but don't want to be forever reminded of how
>cheap I am when I use it.
>
>Any other sources of decent quality/reasonable prices?

Eric,

Here's one American made vise company, but I can't believe the price!

http://www.yostvises.com/sheetmetal.htm

I was in Northern Tools a couple of weeks ago and talking to one of their
floor personal about wrenches, and made in USA.  He was showing me
a set of their wrenches and saying that they were made in USA.  I picked
a set up and was looking at the package, and found "made in China".

I'd love to buy made in USA, but in most cases I can't afford it.  I'm
willing
to pay more for something made here (want to keep jobs here), but $500
for a vice, 2 moving parts!  Hell, I can buy a used car for $500!!!

Wilton (http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/) supposedly has a made in the USA
vise at a more reasonable price.  They are suposedly available at
Northern tools.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229