[Shop-talk] I need help with staining new windows

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] I need help with staining new windows
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:47:13 -0400
    I'm installing replacement windows in my house and I've managed to
mix up a batch of stain that is extremely close in color to trim thats
there now.  My problem is that the new windows seem to take the stain
with much more grain showing, as if the windows were more of a rough
milled wood, with some area quite dark.  Can I mellow out the grain with
something like sanding sealer,  or will that change the color also?
Thanks for any advice.  John Mitchell  Shelton,  CT