Re: [Shop-talk] Aligning round tubing for mitering?

To: "Obaa" <obaa996@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Aligning round tubing for mitering?
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:30:48 -0500
> I'm trying to build a small rack/platform using some 5/8" round tubing.
> I'm planning for it to be rectangular, with the tubes cut at a 45 degree
> angle (don't have a tubing bender).  I'm going to notch 3 crossbars with a
> 5/8" drill, to form a nice, flat platform.
> The problem is, I don't know how to align the tubing to keep all the cuts
> square with each other.  Is there a simple way of doing this?

If I am understanding you problem correctly, it is "how do I establish a
bottom and top of the tubing so all of my 45 degree cuts will be based on
this datum.

If that is the problem, is it possible to tack weld something on the tubing
that would locate the tubing in the cutting device the same way when each of
the cuts is made - maybe a thin plate to the "bottom" and then the plate
would set flat on the bench and the therefore all of the cuts would be based
on the plate? Or maybe attach something to the end of the tubing that would
establish "the bottom" and then make all of the cuts from the tubing based
that datum.

Or maybe I just mis-understood the problem. My wife suggests that happens a
lot.

Arvid