Re: [Shop-talk] Tabbed axle washers

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tabbed axle washers
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:37:15 -0500
It's not as if Timken makes these bearings specifically for this
application.  They're just what's closest.  I'm sure they'd be less than
thrilled at the sales volume for BMC car conversions.  Heck - I'm surprised
they even bother to list the application and have conversion notes too.  And
if they were made for the application I bet they'd have made them to fit
exactly rather than advising as they did to use a thinner washer, which is
indeed the washer I'm looking for.

Maybe the stub axles were longer on your Morris Minor - this is a 1978
rubber-bumpered Midget.  Apparently the axles are also larger-radiused at
the shoulder than earlier models too, as I had to modify the radius on the
bearing cones (between the bore and the face) to allow the cone to slide all
the way onto the axle, up to the shoulder.  Perhaps that was an effort to
strengthen the stub axles ??

Also - there used to be SKF bearings (with the same numbers but additional
suffix letters) recommended for this application, but the bearing houses say
they're now NLA, replaced by what I got.  Maybe some other brand has a
closer match to what I need, but I don't want far-East mystery-metal
bearings.  I wanted Timkens, and this is what they sell today.

But you're all welcome to come on over and make sure I didn't screw up.
I'll have some cold beer ready, to make the trip to Chicago worthwhile  ;-)

Thanks!
Karl