[Shop-talk] Storing boxes

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Storing boxes
From: "Wayne" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:01:52 -0700
Hello,

I have all different sizes of empty boxes that I save from the various mail
order shipments I receive. I use these boxes periodically to ship items
myself rather than having to run down to the PO each time and buy a box.
These are one of the most awkward and space consuming things I store in my
shop. To date I pile them in the loft which is inconvenient and takes up
space I could use for other things. I generally ship about two items per
week (all different sized items, never the same repeat items).

I had an idea I wanted to run by the group and see if it is realistic or
maybe spur some other ideas for box storage. The peak of my shop roof is
about 17' sloping down to about 12' at the sides. The auto lift takes up one
bay of the shop but the third bay is open space in this roof area. I wonder
about using a cargo net, maybe like this one:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458596

or larger if I can find one. And then rig up a pulley and rope system that
would collapse the cargo net around the pile of boxes and hoist it up into
the roof area. When I need a box I release the rope from the cleat and lower
the net/pile of boxes to floor level.

What do you think, workable deal, or just end up with a tangled mess??

Do you have any clever ideas for storing boxes of varying sizes?

Thanks

Wayne