Re: [Shop-talk] Notching rafters for purlins?

To: Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Notching rafters for purlins?
From: Pat <Pat@HorneSystemsTx.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:24:19 -0500
If the rafters are not up, put them side by side and make the cuts all
at once. They will line up better that way.

If you just cut the end cuts with a saw you can then use a chisel to
knock out larger chunks.

Having said that, around here (central Texas) purlins are just attached
to the top of the rafters and not cut in. Cutting into a 2x6 will give
you the strength of whatever material is still left, so that would make
your rafter strength equivalent to that of a 2x4.

You could also cut the purlins and nail them between the uncut rafters,
or just nail the purlins on top of the rafters and scab in 2x2's to run
on top of the rafters to make them the same height as the purlins.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Obaa:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001