Re: [Shop-talk] Cheap vs. name tools (was: Levels)

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cheap vs. name tools (was: Levels)
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:32:04 -0400
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Wayne wrote:
do that, and presumably make a profit at it, with me
> buying them for $2 apiece.
>
> How in the heck can that be possible?
>
> Anyway, I do wonder if the recent fuel increases are going to make "cheap
> chinese tools" a little less cheap.  Of course, that'll also probably
> raise the cost of all but the really high end tools, since it seems like
> everything except the cadilac tools are made in China anyway (which is an
> assumption, and I'd love to know if I was wrong about it).

You'll notice the price of your light is now $3, which is 50% hike in
10 months.  So, yeah, chinese tool prices are going up.  Shipping
prices from China to the US are up substantially, as are the prices of
much of what's in them (cast iron, steel, copper and aluminum).  Some
woodworking tools (which are big hunks of machined cast iron with
electric motors) are up 25% or more since the start of the year.
Transport costs are a large fraction of that.

There are lots of tools made in the US still, you just have to be
willing to pay for them.  They're not that much more expensive than
good quality imported stuff.  (They're lots more than the factory
floor sweepings that harbor freight sells, true.)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com