[Shop-talk] Moving car with no wheel

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Moving car with no wheel
From: Rick Shank <rickshank@banklogic.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:29:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hey folks,

First time poster here.   Let's say I need to move a car (3400 lbs) that is
missing a rear wheel because of sheared studs.   I can't fix it where it's at,
so I'll be putting it on an open car trailer and towing it to my garage.

Here's my idea at first glance.   Get some measurements from ground to 2
attachment points (probably two points on rear lower control arm).  Weld up two
cradles that will bolt/weld to a metal car dolley. Place the suspension onto
that and use 1" tie downs to secure.   The roll/push/winch the thing onto the
trailer.

Am I missing some overly simply way to do this?

No, swapping the studs where it's at isn't possible.   The car lost it's wheel
during a track outing and I think I'll need to remove the entire knuckle and
use a press to assist in separation.

Thanks,

~Ricky