Re: [Shop-talk] Heat Pumps? (part 2 of 2)

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Heat Pumps? (part 2 of 2)
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:58:37 -0400
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:20 AM, John T. Blair <jblair1948@cox.net> wrote:

> The geothermal heat pump just gives you a stable temperature platform
> to work from.  In stead of temps being 100 deg or 40 deg or someplace
> in between the recirculating coolant is about 55 all the time.

Okay.  It's *not* "about 55F" all the time.  Ground temperature below
a couple meters is not about 55F.  It's, very roughly, the average
yearly air temperature.  That's 50 to 60 in much of the country, but
it's not in phoenix (where it's 70-something) or much of the southwest
and far south, nor in the great frozen north, where it's below
freezing.  there's a reason such places have permafrost.

(I'm not objecting to the rest of the content.  Just that, which bugs
the hell out of me whenever anyone says it.)
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com