Re: [Shop-talk] Dead Dremel -- suggestions?

To: <kk7ss@verizon.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <tinydog@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dead Dremel -- suggestions?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:07:39 -0500
"Trevor Boicey" wrote...
>   You can generally buy cheapos for about $10 that include a huge pile
> of equally cheap bits...
>
>   Not that I would recommend them for quality, but considering we are
> discussing two dremels here that up and died, might not be a whole lot
> worse...

I bought a then-expensive speed-control Dremel tool 20 years ago to replace
a WWII-era rotary tool that we needed at the plant (and for all I know
whoever stold it is probably still using that 1940's "Casco" tool).  The new
Dremel saw no more than half an hour's service over something over a year
when the speed control died.  Warrantee was up, and parts were $50.  I left
it in the drawer and used my die grinder for years.  Then 7 or 8 years ago I
found a $15 Tim Allen rotary tool with a bag of bits on closeout at Home
Depot.  I've enjoyed that little thing on quite a few occasions, using up at
least a couple of packages of cutoff wheels, and it's still running fine.
But then I only do light and fine work with it - the heavy stuff calls for
drills and die grinders.

That's another reason why I don't believe that "You get what you pay for".
You just don't get MORE than you pay for.

Karl