[Shop-talk] (yet another) air compressor question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] (yet another) air compressor question
From: Marcus Pless <mpless@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:04:33 -0700
I recently moved into a new place that actually has enough
room for an air compressor. I'm looking for something that
would be general purpose in nature and relatively inexpensive.
It's been years since I've done any serious work that
requires a continuous air flow, and I don't expect to be
doing any major auto restoration any time soon. I'm looking
for something that can pump tires and run nailers and other
light duty cycle air tools at the moment, but I don't want
to shoot myself in the foot with a woefully inadequate air
supply for down the road. My budget is probably in the $300
range.

I'm a bit skeptical of most of the current "oil less"
compressors and have been looking for something with a more
traditional motor/belt/compressor setup, with limited success.
Can anyone recommend the current Craftsman/Lowes/Home Depot
"oil less" compressors? I'm even considering something cheap
from Harbor Freight until I can figure out what my actual
needs are goind to be.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--Marcus