Re: [Shop-talk] Hot air furnace parasitic loss

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hot air furnace parasitic loss
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 04:24:57 -0700
> > Probably what you are hearing is the control transformer in
> the furnace.
> > Your thermostat  and controls runs on 24V. There will be a small
> > amount of eddy current loss in the transformer, but that's about it.
>
> Probably 10 watts or so.  (If it's old, maybe lots more.)

That seems way high to me.  Whatever it dissipates is converted almost
entirely to heat; and 10 watts into something the size of a control
transformer would cause it to get quite warm even in free air.  Mine is some
40 years old, and just barely gets warm to the touch.  Might be 1 watt, but
I doubt even that.

Randall