Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:19:02 -0700
Nolan wrote:
> Come off it Randall.  You know you're spouting the exceptions.
> Don't play the childish troll.  Flat surfaces sliding across the cam
> lobes is the rule, even in the OHC engines.

Flat surfaces sliding across cam lobes is the rule in OHC engines, but
not in pushrod motors.

Tell me what pushrod motors Detroit's built in the last ten years that
have flat tappets.

The Ford 302/351 Windsors went roller starting in the mid '80s, all the
passenger cars were roller by the early '90s, the truck 351s by the mid
'90s IIRC and they were out of production a couple years thereafter
anyway.  I'm pretty sure the 3.8/4.2 V6 have been roller for a dozen
years as well.  Don't know about the 2.9/4.0 Cologne V6 or the 3.0
Vulcan. To my knowledge the 460 big-block never got rollers in
production but it went away after '94 or '95 anyway.

The Chevy small-block V8s went roller a long time ago, the big-block
went roller with the L29 Vortec 7.4 motor in '94.  The Buick V6 likewise
went roller a long time ago.  Once again don't know about the
2.8/3.1/3.4 Chevy V6 but it'd surprise me greatly if they weren't.

The Chrysler 'hemi' V8 has roller lifters.  Once again, don't know about
the pushrod V6s but given that it's a pretty recent desing it'd be very
surprising if they hadn't been.

And that's about all the pushrod Detroit motors left that I can think of.

John.