Re: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:39:56 -0500
Steven Trovato wrote:
> Yes, of course.  I'm talking about resistive electric heating units,
> like the one in the link provided.  Companies try to market some of them
> as unique marvels of efficiency.  All resistive electric heaters have
> the same efficiency.  The only difference is that the blowers consume
> some electricity in some models.  Electricity through a resistance
> producing heat is pretty much just physics.

Yup, saw the ad and thought it was rather silly they were splashing
"eco" and "green" in their names and descriptions!  Electrical
resistance heat is by definition 100% efficient.  Unless you have a duct
system that's leaking heat to a unheated area.  Even the power consumed
by a blower eventually turns into heat, so that's not really a loss.

   -Wayne