Re: [Shop-talk] Using gas indoors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Using gas indoors
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:18:22 -0800 (PST)
Lots and lots (and lots!) of people use propane in their houses to
cook and heat food and water - because they're not located near
underground gas lines. Most gas stoves manufactured today are
dual-use ... which means they have selectable orifices for
'natural gas' and propane, which come into the house at
different pressures.

Be sure to select the correct one. Be sure to change the orifice
in the oven as well as the stovetop.

I mention the latter because when we purchased a propane-plumbed
vacation cabin a few years ago, there would be a whiff of
"gas smell" every time we showed up for the weekend - which would
then dissipate. It took us a while, but we figured it out while
investigating why the oven burned everything that we cooked in
it: the previous owner had correctly set the stovetop orifice,
but not the one for the oven, so the oven burner never cycled off
once it had started... and the pilot was running much too high
(and had yellow tips, as Randall mentions).