[Shop-talk] testing cooktop switch?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] testing cooktop switch?
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:13:07 -0600
I have a Kenmore 36" glass cooktop with 5 radiant elements.  Model # 4274
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02242749000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Cooktops+%26+Ovens&sName=Cooktops

The most powerful burner element (9" 3500W)  has stopped working.  I
am 95% sure the rotary switch is the problem.  The burner would work
with the switch in some postions, but not others.  IE: turn it on,
doesn't work, move the knob slightly and it would work.  Over a
period of about a month the distance that was required on moving  the
knob got larger.  Finally, it doesn't work at all.   The cooktop is
just under 3 years old.

My parts sheet lists the switch as part # 318120505.  A google search
comes back as this being a Frigidaire part #.   This switch has a
different part # than the other switches on the unit due to it
controlling a more powerful element.

The switch is not cheap.  Is there a way to test the old switch with
an ohm meter or something to make certain this is the problem before
I buy the new switch.

Thanks,
David Cole

note: I knoo this is a cooktop, but the question does involve tools,
testing, etc.