Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.

To: "'Wayne'" <wmc_st@xxiii.com>, "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.
From: "Bill Engle Sr" <whesr@iglou.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:49:00 -0500
Ferrari uses GM automaic transmissions or did for many years.

Bill

John Miller wrote:
> M3 engine swaps are pretty common and I think getting more so as E36M3s
> age and need engine work; typically it's putting an S50US/S52US (240HP
> US E36M3) S50/S52 (320HP Euro E36M3) or S54 (340HP E46M3) small six into

Getting way off topic, but I couldn't resist reminiscing on one of the
the more interesting swaps I was on the sidelines for.

Had a couple friends that were BMW fanatics.  1st guy had an E36 M3;
bought a Euro-spec 6-speed off ebay and installed it.  So then there's a
5-speed tranny collecting dust in his kitchen.  His friend gets the
bright idea that his family car, an E36 325 or something would be a lot
cooler with a manual transmission in it. (can't argue there!)

So they procure all the parts, and in a hot June day in South Carolina,
in a little tiny apartment complex single stall garage, set about doing
it.  I only fetched tools and beer (and drank beer.)  But in something
like 14 hours they had swapped the transmission, driveshaft, rear end,
drive axles, ECU. installed a clutch pedal, master cylinder, swapped
interior trim and spliced wiring harnesses.  Finished at about 2am, and
we drove it to breakfast the next morning  :)

An interesting lesson -- many BMWs have General Motors automatic
trannies in them!