Re: [Shop-talk] Sub Zero (Was- Freon Leak detectors)

To: "Matt Wehland" <mattw@webtripper.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sub Zero (Was- Freon Leak detectors)
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:33:22 -0500
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com> wrote:

> I like to cook and I think I would lean towards finding a restaurant supply
> house and checking out real ovens/stoves.  They can't cost more than the
> expensive consumer stuff, can it?

Substantially less than the overpriced faux-pro crap.  (36" viking:
about six grand.  36" commercial stove, with better specs (twice the
burner output, at least): less than two.)  But commercial stuff has
drawbacks, too.  They're not zero-clearance, so you have to have
clearance (six to eight inches) from combustible materials, though
some places will let you use tile or stainless barriers.  They're not
normal household depth, though that's not necessarily a problem, if
you're building around them.  They require much better venting, and in
some places, make up air.  They're also typically standing pilot lit,
not electrically.

> I would have a separate stove top 6-8 burners and over/under ovens mounted
> at a decent height, no bending to check on food.
> One thing with commercial stoves is you need larger than standard gas lines,
> IIRC.

Depends on the stove, and your gas, but quite possible.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com