[Shop-talk] Auto gas line repair - conclusion

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Auto gas line repair - conclusion
From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:08:23 -0600
Greetings, Everyone!

I thought I'd pass on what I ended up doing with the leaking gas line.
Since gas was dripping on the ground finding the leak was pretty simple,
once I got the car up in the air.  Wiping 16 years of road grime off the
lines revealed a pinhole leak in the largest of the 3 lines running from the
tank area to the engine compartment.  As someone suggested, the lines are
plastic.  I was able to cut a 6" section of that line out, and replace it
with a chunk of 5/16 rubber fuel injection hose from my FLAPS.  I was able
to shove the ends of the plastic lines about 2 inches into the rubber line,
and secured each with 3 FI hose clamps.  I tucked the line back into the
various hangers under the car, and verified that nothing was rubbing on
anything.  Running the car at idle for several minutes showed no leaks.  A
50 mile trip later in the day also showed no evidence of leaks.  I'll keep
an eye in it periodically to see if anything changes, but so far, so good.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

BillG
OKC