Re: [Shop-talk] What to do with oily rags?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What to do with oily rags?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:42:26 -0600
I've found the same thing with the red rags you buy today.  I won't use one
for solvent wiping anything, or for washing anything either.  Kinda limits
their usefulness.

But in the 60's and 70's we used rental rags in the printing business, and
they were bright orange.  We sent them back in a 55-gallon barrel, all
glopped up with ink and solvents - real mean stuff, none of today's
OSHA-approved materials  ;-)

The rags came back pretty and orange again, and only very occasionally was
there any hint of a stain.  They'fade a bit over many cycles, but the color
was very durable considering.  Eventually they stopped the orange color and
sent white rags, which became a dirty gray after one cycle.  Maybe that was
about the time that OSHA began, and so many solvents and pigments became
restricted.

I've always wondered what in the world they used to clean those rags...

Karl