Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:11:33 -0800
David Scheidt wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Mullen, J T (IT) <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com> wrote:
>> One problem I have with CFLs is the base.  I have a garage door opener
>> with sockets for a light bulb on each side.  I'd like to put CFLs in
>> them, but the socket has a tappered opening that confirms to a normal
>> bulb - the CFLs won't screw into them and make contact.
>
> That's not a problem with CFLs.  The problem here is that the person
> who designed the socket is a moron.  I wouldn't have thought you could
> screw up something as well defined as an edison screw base, but I
> guess I've underestimated the morons they let design stuff.  Yet
> again.

I think what he means is that the silo into which the bulb is inserted
is conical, conforming to the typical taper of an incandescent bulb,
with a conventional Edison socket at the bottom, while the CF bulb tends
to be more cylindrical in shape with the transformer at the bottom and
won't fit all the way into the silo (and in such tight quarters might
cook the transformer even if it did.)

John.