Re: [Shop-talk] tube fluorescent wattage

To: dirtbeard@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tube fluorescent wattage
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:03:47 -0400
Doug (Shook)-

Were your fluorescent tubes of the older T12 variety, or of the
smaller T8 type? I have read (not measured) that the T8 tubes are more
efficient than the T12. It almost sounds like you had a single 40W
tube in a T12 fixture, and dual 32W tubes in a T8 fixture. I installed
a dual T8 fixture (with 32W tubes) in the laundry about a year ago,
and have been very happy with it (and, with the proper color
temperature, the quality of the light output).

My parents have a TED at their house, and it is fascinating to watch
it over the course of the day/night. Their house (just west of
Harrisburg, PA) is an all-electric which went onto a special metering
system in 1993 with on/off peak rates. The TED has enabled them to
quickly note what devices make a real difference in their power
demands and which ones, to their surprise, don't.

I think I'll put a TED system in when I get the internal electric
mains circuits upgraded this summer in the house (I have a full,
no-single-main-breaker panel with a 50A "main" breaker on one hot leg
and a 60A "main" breaker on the other - but 200A service).

-Peter

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Oak Hill, VA

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> That's a nice unit, then.  I have a fairly cheesy power meter
> from Lacrosse, similar in style to the Kill-a-Watt, and it
> clearly does not consider power factor, just current as measured
> across a shunt resistor.
>
> More recently I got a TED 1000 (www.theenergydetective.com). It has clamp-on
sensors for both main feed conductors and measures true RMS.  It also has a PC
interface for logging, etc. I'm pretty happy with it, but it is not meant to
measure power usage of individual appliances like a Kill-a-Watt.