[Shop-talk] Cheap / easy ways to measure long (500' or so) distances

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cheap / easy ways to measure long (500' or so) distances
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

What're some cheap/easy ways to measure up to 500' or so over grassy/flat
terrain?

I was initially thinking a measuring wheel with a decent diameter wheel,
but would welcome other options.  I'm a little worried about the smaller
(~6") measuring wheels not working well on grass, and the ones with bigger
wheels seem to be a little more expensive.  My only other idea is a long
nylon tape, but that's a hassle to move around for other measurements.

I need accuracy to the foot or so.  Prefer it to be under $50.  Ease of
use is important.  This is just so I can measure stuff on our lot, to
model our existing buildings so that we can play "what if" games with
other building heights/placements...

Thanks!

Mark