Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] running ethernet wires
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:25:40 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Thanks for the advice so far.

So it sounds like I want CAT 5e minimum, along with wall mounts with punch
down connections on the jacks?  I'll use store bought patch cables to go
from the wall to the equipment.

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> You'll find CAT 5E or CAT 6 cable, and either one is good for up to
> gigabit speeds with no problem. If you're running jack-to-jack,
> just follow the color codes on the jack - make sure that you choose
> "type A" or "type B" and stay consistent.
>
> http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

I don't get the A vs. B stuff... Is this just for the color scheme used?
The pin outs look to be identical, so I don't see how this would matter,
other than if you wanted all your colors to end up in the same place on
the connector for multiple runs.  In particular I don't see how one would
work for a phone connection and one wouldn't, if the pin outs on the
connector are the same?

Mark