[Shop-talk] Chassis enamel

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Chassis enamel
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:44:00 -0500
Not having done any serious amount of restoration work for some time, I'm out
of the loop as to what's good in chassis enamel.  I'm aware of POR-15 (in fact
I have a gallon unopened, which the company assures me is still good if it's
not thickened) but the UV deterioration worries me.

I'll be painting an axle housing, exposed parts of frame rails, brake drums
and backing plates, and misc. small parts from that area of the car.

My best results in the past have been DuPont Corlar epoxy primer and Imron
topcoat, which I'll do if necessary.  However, is there anything worthwhile in
spray cans nowadays ?  Once upon a time I used some incredible epoxy enomel in
spray cans that's still holding up 30+ years later, but is there anything like
that now ?

Thanks !
Karl