[Shop-talk] Sliding screen door madness

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Sliding screen door madness
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:28:14 -0700
For years and years I fought with the cheap one size fits all screen door on
our 80x36 glass slider. The thing would not stay in adjustment, the screws
would strip out, I had to put one of those metal mesh dog panels on the
bottom of the door just to get some sort of rigidity in the frame, the
"rollers" such that they did not roll worth a darn etc etc etc. The thing
got knocked out of the tracks again today and I have had it. I'm tired of
patching the thing together.

So what do I do? Go to lowes and buy another one for $50 and another dog
guard for $30 but this one said, "heavy duty" on it. I'm sure it would be
better built than my old one... wrong, same piece of junk build. One size
fits none - 75-81" in height. The screws in the bottom roller panel came
pre-stripped out because the holes were drilled too close to the edge of the
paper thin aluminum, which meant the door could not be adjusted up enough to
come anywhere close to fitting the 80" door frame. I lost it at that point
and threw the damn door across the backyard where it will stay until Monday
when I return it to get my money back.

Whew, thanks for listening to my rant. Now...

Somebody must manufacture sliding screen doors to fit these standard sized
door frames that at least have some robustness to them? Anybody? Seems there
would be a non-custom standard model of higher quality than these
adjustomatics from the box stores? Do builders really put these pieces of
junk in the $400-600K spec houses I see all around our area? There must be
some option between this junk and a custom ordered one?

There must be a higher quality alternative without having to go the custom
build route??

Thanks
Wayne

 <http://forum.doityourself.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1555669> Reply