Re: [Shop-talk] Oneida-air cyclone (was: Harbor Freight testimonial)

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oneida-air cyclone (was: Harbor Freight testimonial)
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:26:42 -0400
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net> wrote:
> Anybody tried this: http://www.dustdeputy.com/
> It is even touted as American made...

I have no experience with this product.  But I'll say something about
dust collection generally.  Vacuum-cleaner based solutions don't work
very well.  they can be okay (and really, just okay) in something like
a blast cabinet.  Real dust collectors work much better.  the
difference is one of intent.  Vacuum cleaners move small volumes of
air, at large suction.  that means they're good at picking up heavy
things, or things that ground into the carpet.  Dust collectors, on
the other hand, move large volumes of air, at pretty low suction.  So,
they don't really do a good job of picking up heavy things, like nuts
bolts, or things ground into the carpet; however, they do a fantastic
job of moving lots of air, and the dust that's suspended in the air.

The rule of thumb for dust collecting in a blast cabinet is about 6 or
8 air changes a minute.  so a 3' cube cabinet is (27 cu ft * 6-8
change/min = 162-216 cu ft/min).  That's right at limit of what a big
shop vac can do.  The actual amount of air you need depends on what
you're cleaning, what abrasive your using, your tolerance for not
being able to see, etc.

Oh, and when adding dust collection to a cabinet, don't forget to plan
for make up air.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com