Re: [Shop-talk] Phase converters???

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Phase converters???
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:49:37 -0700
> Good Day Group   I am interested in a phase converter or
> phase shifter.  A
> Capacitor type to run a 2 to 3 hp 3phase motor on 240 single
> phase.  They come in a metal box about 8`x8` 3-4 hundred
> dollars??

Art, I don't have all the links handy, but there should be lots of info on
the web about building your own.  There are several approaches; one way is
to find a surplus 3-phase motor that is similar or slightly larger than the
one you intend to power and use it as a "rotary transformer".  Here's one
page with the basics:
http://www.nojolt.com/how-to-build-a-rotary-phase-converter.shtml

A simple capacitive type "converter" isn't going to work as well; and needs
to be 'tuned' to the load, which is problematic for most "home shop" loads.
Still adequate for some uses though; primarily cases where the load motor
can be started under no load and you don't need full power from it (like a
lathe or mill).

But $300-$400 (even Canadian) should get you a full-blown 2-3hp VFD; eg,
http://tinyurl.com/cav4xz

Randall