Re: [Shop-talk] Garage design help / decisions

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage design help / decisions
From: mike rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 13:41:03 -0700
> And, whatever you do, do not browse this website: www.garagejournal.com
> Specifically the forum section. (you've been warned...)

 I agree, do not browse that website above, do not go to
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24585  and see my
garage.   When you go to that website, plan a few hours to browse :)

 I started out with Google Sketchup as my drawing/drafting project, it
saved me tons of money since I could show my architect EXACTLY what I
wanted and he could use my drawings for a start.  When we were finished
he told me that my drawings really saved him a lot of time on what I
wanted and in turn that saved me lots of money.  He also liked that I
was able to tell him exactly what I wanted and he did not have to guess
and/or hope that what he was drawing was what I wanted.  I had the
trusses in Sketchup, then the roof and even the siding to show my wife
and then the architect.

 I went to the city with rough drawings from Sketchup and asked what I
could do and not do, once I knew the rules and which ones I could
"bend", I drew up what I wanted, took it to the city and showed them
again, they gave it a non-official "Yeah, it looks like you could build
that" and then got my architect involved.  His fees ended up being
$2,800 and he did all the leg work involved in actually getting the
permits.

 It actually was not quite that easy...but it worked.

 Now to your comments about putting up 4 walls and finishing it yourself
later, in my town I had to have power brought in, I could not build
without power and basic circuits in.  One light in each section, one
plug in each section is the bare minimum.

 In my case I needed the structural engineer because I was tying into
the existing garage, so the city wanted to see that engineers stamp :(
but I was happy with it, the architect came in a told me things that I
did not think of, like drainage that would have been insufficient.  If
it had not been for tying in with the old garage, I might have been able
to go with Sketchup entirely but I would have made mistakes that my
architect caught.

  I had the slab poured, considered doing the walls but for time
reasons, had the walls built BUT I did the siding to save money and of
course will do the interior myself.

        mike