Re: [Shop-talk] chain saw cuts curves...?

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chain saw cuts curves...?
From: "JB" <jfbriggs@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:24:51 -0400
That problem is usually due to wear on the bar.  That's why many bars are
made so they can be turned over.   If I have turned it over and also worn
out the "other" side I have found you can usually grind or file the riding
surfaces flat for one more time each.  After that, you pretty much have to
buy a new bar.  I think I paid $20 -$25 bucks for a new bar with a chain for
my 16" Remington, but I would guess they are more than that now.  It pays to
get a new chain at the same time as the new bar, as the tilting of the chain
tends to wear the riding shoulders and the "tails" of the chain to where
they don't guide quite right in the new bar.

John Briggs
Howell, MI