Re: [Shop-talk] mazda miata issue

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mazda miata issue
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:09:56 -0400
scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> so this bolt does what? it trashes the crank? I thought we'd r&r the
> plug wires, o2 sensor and erg valve first, then worry about more
> expensive things.

   Well CHECKING if this is the problem is really easy, and if it is the
problem, then you know the solution, so might as well look at it. You'll
know the answer before you even change the first plug wire.

   From my recollection the front of the crank has a limited contact
area and this bolt can work itself out, which causes the crank pulley to
wobble and destroy it's keyway and eventually cause terrible acceleration.

   The updated crank has a little more "beef" to it. Again, follow the
links to get the real details, but that's about it.

   The current wisdom, which I follow, is never touch the bolt unless
you HAVE to, then if you do, buy a new bolt, torque it very carefully,
and hope for the best.