Re: [Shop-talk] table saw

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] table saw
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:36:00 -0700
I would get the 3 HP with the Bies fence.  LT and RT mean Left Tilt and
Right Tilt blade.  It's a personal preference, depending on what you're
used to.  A lot of people prefer the LT as it doesn't trap your stock
against the fence and the blade isn't as close to your fingers on some
cuts.  I think it's largely a matter of personal preference and
experience.

3HP is plenty for a 10" saw for 99% of what just about anyone will be
doing  unless you plan to routinely rip 4" thick hardwood all day.  I
have a 3HP 10" Grizzly and it has plenty of power.  I also have the
Unisaw's big brother, the (no longer available) Delta 12"-14" saw and it
has a 5HP motor to drive a 14" blade, so 3 is plenty for a 10" blade.  A
lot depends on the quality and thickness of the blade, too, as well as
the tooth count.  You'll probably want to get a good combination blade
pretty quick as the Delta blades I've seen on new saws aren't the
greatest.  An Amana 40-odd tooth combination blade (available on Amazon)
is hard to beat.  Freud makes some good blades, too.

The Biesmeyer fence is pretty much standard in the industry now.  It's
so popular that Grizzly and others have cloned it.  IMO the Unifence is
an overengineered piece (actually a number of pieces) of junk.  The
fence proper and the alignment rail are both aluminum extrusions.  The
Bies is steel; you set it up and forget about it.  The Biesmeyer fence
is so good that Delta bought them out several years ago but they keep
the name separate to continue selling the fence to people with other saws.

Don't forget to factor shipping costs into your budget...