Re: [Shop-talk] Help springs (sort of)

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Help springs (sort of)
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:12:54 -0700
> A couple of weeks ago I hauled a load of alder lumber home in the back
> of my half ton, short bed GMC 2WD pickup.  About 620 board feet....Way
> overloaded.  I had to stop in route and buy a new pair of rear tires as
> the overload shredded one of the rear tires.  They were OEM General
> tires, probably not the best, and they had 45K miles on them, but still,
> I wasn't ready for a new set of tires just then.

I once filled the back of my 3/4-ton '91 Suburban with 90lb sacks of
ready-mix, then did the math while I was driving home and just about
crapped.  Fortunately, the tires are slightly oversize Load Range E
things, and I'd had them well aired-up.  It didn't even put the thing on
the bumpstops or otherwise cause any distressing vehicle behavior.

Since I've decided to keep the thing a while, I'm actually thinking of
swapping out the 8600GVW springs for springs out of a 6500GVW version to
soften the unladen/lightly loaded ride a bit, and add some air helper
springs to get the load-carrying capacity back.  Anyone have any
thoughts on that approach?

John.