Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes
From: "Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:39:28 -0700
OK, I wasn't going to bring up my solution.....but now I will<grin>
The neighbor's teenage son (I'm nearly 99% sure) decided to take
a sideswipe to our mailbox some years ago.  It was a typical
rural metal box on a 4x4 post.  It was about this time that Lowes
had first offered those green/tan plastic boxes designed to slip over
a 4x4 post.

We purchased one of the plastic boxes, 4 bags of Quik-Crete and a
1/4 inch thick steel 4 x 4 tubing, about 7 feet long.  3 plus bags of
concrete went into the deep hole and the rest of the concrete filled
up
the 4 x 4 square tubing.  We then slid the plastic box and column over
the
top of the tubing and thru-bolted to the steel.

I don't know if the neighbor kid saw what we did or not, but the
effect has been the same..........no more knocking over the mailbox.
Now, if we can just keep the drivers from running off the road and
thru our pasture fencing at the first hint of snow!

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA