Re: [Shop-talk] 110 vac winch

To: "Frank Vantacich" <rustymetal@sbcglobal.net>, "Shop Talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 110 vac winch
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:13:22 -0500
My luck with cheap winches is similar, so I can't offer any help there, but
I'd be a bit worried about the safety aspect, particularly with just any
cheap winch (and the cheap cable that comes with it) holding a heavy load
while people and vehicles pass under it.  Some are rated for lifting, others
only for pulling - I believe the difference is in the quality and security
(or even the existence) of the brake.

My garage attic staircase (less than 100 pounds, but the same principle)
works easily by hand thanks to a balance weight and pulley we installed
decades ago.  Just pull it down and push it back up.  Instead of a pull rope
I have a length of conduit which hangs down to allow pulling or puching the
stairway.  For additional safety we arranged it so the conduit push-handle
can be locked against the wall as a brace to jam the door closed, but I've
of neglected to use that feature for many years.

Karl

>I made a hinged wooden stair case to get in to the loft of my new barn and
>am
> in need of a 110vac winch to hoist it up out of the way so I can drive
> through
> to the other half of my barn.
<snip>