Re: [Shop-talk] Recharging a Ni-Cad Battery

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Recharging a Ni-Cad Battery
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:36:08 -0700
> Here are my questions...
>
> Can I hook a normal dc power supply to this (a 9.6v one?)

A 'normal' DC supply can be made to work, but I think you'll need a slightly
higher, regulated voltage; plus some way to limit the current.  A good rule
of thumb when you don't know the battery details is to limit the charging
current to about 10% of the estimated battery capacity.

So, for example, if each cell is about the volume of an ordinary D-cell
flashlight battery, you can assume it's rated for 3000 mAH, and charge it at
300 mA or less.  Then charge it for at least 14 hours or so (overnight), and
up to a day (or until the pack starts feeling warm to the touch).  If you
have a regulated 12v supply handy, an 8 ohm, 1 watt (or more) resistor will
do for limiting the current.

Randall