Re: [Shop-talk] high frequency welder capacitors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] high frequency welder capacitors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:01:26 -0700
> What I'm wondering is whether the transmitting capacitors can be used in
> place of the original capacitor without either being destroyed or not
> functioning properly in the high frequency circuit of the welder.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe they should work OK.  From the
specs you quote, they appear to have even lower ESR than the originals,
which should mean that they dissipate less heat and so will probably even
last longer.  The extra kV rating should help too.

That part of the circuit is actually rather similar to a spark-gap
transmitter, which actually predates practical vacuum tubes by a few years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark-gap_transmitter

-- Randall