[Shop-talk] Fuel system deposits

To: 'Shop Talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Fuel system deposits
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 16:02:49 -0400
I have a boat that has been having fuel system problems.  I have been
finding black flakes in the carburetor bowl.  The screen at the carb
inlet seems to have develop a black coating.  The pieces look like
carbon paper.  The question is, where is this coming from?  The
pieces in the bowl seem way too big to have ever made it through the
fuel filter and the screen.  And the deposits on the screen look like
they formed there, not like little bits that just got trapped
there.  I live in NY, where fuel is oxygenated, usually 10%
alcohol.  The boat is a 1993 model.  Manual warns against alcohol in
fuel, but without a time machine, there's not much I can do about
that.  I suppose the hoses or fuel pump diaphragm could be
deteriorating.  I've never seen deposits form like that, and I can't
see how else such large flakes got there.  BTW, fuel tank is white
plastic, and the engine is a 5.0l Ford with a Holley carb.  Any
theories?  I wish I could send some of these flakes off to the CSI
lab.  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net