Re: [Shop-talk] Maximum speed with a limited use spare

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Maximum speed with a limited use spare
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 03:31:31 +0000 (UTC)
On a FWD car, I would say put the toy spare on the rear and do 50 MPH all the
way in to your destination.

On a BMW, not so much.  Running with the spare on the rear will wear your
differential.  Running the spare on the front is pretty dangerous.  I'd say
repair the tire with a plug-patch.  If you can't find someone to patch it, put
a plug in the tire and run it on the rear and keep the speed down.

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L   1979 Caterham 7
1993 Suburban  1994 Miata C-package  2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
http://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums   http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier