[Shop-talk] WELDING LEAD ROLLER

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] WELDING LEAD ROLLER
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:48:48 -0500
OK guys... I know some of you have figured this out... help me....

I work for a industrial piping contractor doing commercial/industrial piping
and maintenance... lots of our work is outage work in steel mills, plants
etc.  We tool up and trailer everything we can imagine using to the site
nice and neat... but when it returns to the shop it's one tangled nasty mess
all thrown in the trailers.  wet...dry...greasy...broken...smashed.

One of the jobs I hate is untangling and rerolling welding leads...
sometimes hundreds of feet of heavy 2/0 to 4/0 welding leads that are
kinked, twisted and heavy. Mostly we roll up as best we can and lay it on
pallets... but it wastes a lot of space...

I'm looking to make a welding lead roller where you can stick one end of the
lead on the spool, wind it up neatly in a compact package, tape or cable tie
it together and the REMOVE it from the roller for storage... preferably like
a roll of garden hose at the home depot

I know they sell them and they are expensive... this needs to be a shop
fabbed project to save money.  Doesn't have to be powered...can be manually
turned... fairlead would be nice but not absolutely necessary...

so ?? who's got pictures/plans/ideas

thanks

John
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative
and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and
should do for themselves.
William J. H. Boetcker