[Shop-talk] New Building

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] New Building
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:12:44 -0400
I was asked in a private email about more information from the building, so
here it is...

It's a ClearSpan 38'X40'X14' building.  I bought it from FarmTek and got a
great price.

A few of the people that helped me put it up were real engineers, and there
was one guy who erects similar building from another manufacture.

Everyone agreed that the this ClearSpan building was incredibly well
engineered and of substantial construction.  With that said, there are a
few places where Clearspan can improve.  One area is the directions.  They
were often vague and didn't provide enough information.  But it wouldn't be
a problem when you build your second (or more) building.

There are also a few places where they should upgrade their hardware.  The
purlin connectors have a small hole that the cables need to route through.
Many times, it was difficult to get the cable and eyelet in the little
hole.

If I were doing it again, I would pour concrete footers for the end walls.
Using the anchors and pavement just isn't as nice as the concrete would
have been.

I also would have done a better site survey.  I ended up having to bring in
too much fill and ended up with a building that has a much larger footprint
then I wanted.

When putting the door up, I welded the mounts instead of bolting them up.
It was MUCH better as I could get a better tolerance and more precision
(then trying to drill 8 X 1/2" holes, 12' in the air through THICK steel.)

I would consider welding more of the frame if I was to do it again (not
most of it, but there are parts that should be welded, IMHO.)

Overall, the building has more space than I originally though it would.  I
can store everything I need to in there (and then some.)  This isn't a
building for doing work in, it is only to store larger items, YMMV.

Moose
bBe as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.b Ralph
Waldo Emerson