Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic connector question

To: " Tim \(IS\)Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>, Steven Trovato
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic connector question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 12:33:42 -0700 (PDT)
Back when Radio Shacks had a reasonable selection of electronic components,
they were often the only place in town.  Now anybody can get anything
mail-order from the Internet.  And there are lots distributors that gladly
take small orders, or orders from individuals.

And data sheets?  Before the
Web, hobbyists had to cajole or bluff their way with sales reps to get a copy.
Now you just download them.

The only problem now is that you can't actually
build anything, since all the parts are tiny and surface-mounted...

Doug

---
On Fri, 10/9/09, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> wrote:

> From:
Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic
connector question
"shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> Date: Friday, October 9, 2009, 2:14
PM
> I find that there is some variability
> with Radio Shack from store to

store.  The ones in the malls tend to be the
> worst.  Mostly cell
> phones.
You are right, though, the place as a whole
> is way less
> useful than it
used to be for parts and such.

wrote:
> >As for the pin remover, last time I needed one, Radio
> Shack still
had a
> >"RS-232" pin extractor for a couple of bucks in their
> parts
drawers.
> >Although they are getting to have less and less such
> parts
too...