Re: [Shop-talk] Belt-Disc Sander ideas

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Belt-Disc Sander ideas
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:40:21 -0400
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 09:08:08PM -0700, Herby wrote:
> I'm looking for new Combo Disc/Belt Sander for our shop. This will get used
> pretty much daily, 4-5 hours per day. Looking for 12 inch disc and 6 inch
> (x48) belt, 120V single phase. The 1st option we looked at was the Dayton at
> Grainger. Looked at the Jet and Wilton but they seem like the Dayton. I'd
> like to find something a little better hopefully, maybe along the lines of
> the Kalamazoo S612 or S612V. Anyone have other options I should look at?

Can't help you with suggestions other than to keep your eye open for
used equipment (cabinet shops closing, etc).  Occasionally a General or
Dayton brand unit shows up on the local Craigslist though since I'm not in
the market I haven't paid much attention.

Something I've always been curious about regarding these combo units: what
does the disc sander part of the machine accomplish that cannot be done
using the belt sander, especially if you build a better table for the belt
sander?  I'm also curious...aside from space considerations, is there a
reason why someone would choose a one of these combo units over a
full-fledged edge sander?

JM