Re: [Shop-talk] TV connect problem

To: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] TV connect problem
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:04:59 -0500
Elton E. (Tony) Clark wrote:
> *My good old shop TV only has a single coax connector as an input which
> works fine with my VCR which has a coax output.*
> **
> *Now I want to connect a CD/DVD player and my player has the triple
> red,white and yellow plugins. . . a retailer is trying to sell me a $40
> gismo to adapt.* Is there a simpler-cheaper  way to do this* ?

The coax is usually an RF signal with multiple signals -- each channel is
modulated onto a different carrier frequency, and you need an old fashioned
tuner in the TV to pick your channel.

The R/W/Y is one raw audio/video signal, no channel, carrier, or modulation.
Which is a good thing if your TV takes it, since it's a cleaner signal.  Sounds
like they're trying to sell you an outboard modulator.  $40 is a little steep.
But before you do that, people practically give away nice CRT TVs on
CraigsList.  I'd look for a new one there.

-Wayne