[Shop-talk] Shop-vac $.02

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Shop-vac $.02
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:28:15 -0500
I have a Ridgid, 4.5 HP I believe. It has a sheetrock filter and other
than an initial puff of dust after removing the filter for cleaning
(done upside down and some dust gets in the motor) it runs clean.
However, it is LOUD. And suction isn't super fantastic. It may be
better with a regular filter, but there's always some sheetrock dust
where I am...

A friend has a WAP. German. It will, impressively quietly, suck the
chrome off a trailer hitch. Spendy though. He just had to replace the
motor, $250. But after thinking about it for a while, he decided it
was worth it, given how long he'd had it, and how often he uses it.
Unlike the Ridgid, the vacuum airflow does not go through the motor.

jim