Re: [Shop-talk] conductive rubber

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] conductive rubber
From: "scottmryan" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:10:52 -0600
The conductive rubber does wear away with time, depending on how it was
manufactured. (if you have cleaned the pcb/other surface w/ tarnex (for
metal) and then water, or alcohol if carbon based contacts, it's probably
the pad (ohmmeter should show no more than 100-200 ohms when the points are
laid across the pad within 1/16" or so of each other, if it's greater than
500ohms, the pad is worn out). I did superglue very thin foil onto a few
pads once, it's still working, but does bounce sometimes. (it's the mute
button mostly)
I have seen a compound, I believe MCM electronics sells it, that is supposed
to work that you brush onto the contact pad. I also saw someone use silver
conductive paint on contact pads, but this was not working at all when it
came in (was used on a memorymoog, contact pads have not been avail for
those for around 15 years).
Scott R