Re: [Shop-talk] Soda blasting development

To: "Doug Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>, "Shop-Talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Soda blasting development
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 08:40:07 -0600
It comes in two flavors - a 10lb and a 15lb version.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65902

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66742

It looks like the 10lb version is on sale but the ubiquitous 20% off coupons
might make the larger one a reasonable alternative.

I have the 15lb version. It looks like the results of a "what to do with an
empty fire extinguisher" email thread. Filling it is interesting as the soda
needs to go in via the small neck at the top. I loosen the nut at the top of
the main canister and remove the entire black assembly. Someone in the
Harbor Freight engineering department was bright enough to include cheap
quick disconnects for the orange air hose between the regulator and the
black assembly so removal is relatively easy. I then fill the canister thru
the little hole in the top and then put everything back.

Once I got it adjusted it did what I wanted it to do. My experience is that
"less soda" is better than "more soda" but YMMV. Once adjusted it seem to go
about 15 minutes before needing to be refilled.

I suspect that if you use it indoors the soda will be a mess unless it is
used in a cabinet. A duh! conclusion and no personal experience in that
area. I do know that if you use it outdoors and enough of the soda gets on
the lawn the grass will not be happy and this plant life unhappiness will be
transformed to animal life SWMBO unhappiness over time.

If I ever wear out the ceramic nozzle it might be a challenge to get a new
one via Harbor Freight parts but I don't use it that much that I am
concerned about it.

All in all, I only needed to do a small amount of soda blasting, didn't have
a cabinet blaster that I could easily convert over to soda [though I do have
this sand blaster
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_7960_7960
and they do make a "soda conversion kit" that is $150], and didn't want to
hassle with getting all of the parts together to make my own, so I though it
was a reasonable investment.

Arvid